Friday, June 27, 2008

What's Really Behind Independence Day (?)






Politics aside, there's something out there besides hot dogs and fireworks.
I recently had the unique opportunity of being imbedded in live-fire training exercises in a collaborative project generated by the Society of Illustrators and The US Air Force. These young, admirable men let me into their world.
With only 28 days of training behind them, they get deported.
It was an exhilarating, yet sobering experience. Here are a few sketches from my trip.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW. great work and what a cool opportunity for you!

Anna Nadler said...

Great sketches Melanie! Really makes me be in the moment!

Stephen Gardner said...

these are great, I've been waiting to see these. If I wasn't too old I'd enlist.

memi said...

Thanks, everyone.
Anna, it's great to see you continue to work- of course, your best project is Sam!!!

Stephen, thanks-they run circles around us- it was not easy moving around today!

Anna Nadler said...

I'd have to agree with that 100% Melanie ;)
Thanks!

Ira R said...

Melanie
just when ya think ya know roughly what to expect I get to see these drawings! And they are so strong and full of life.

memi said...

Thanks, Ira.
It is hard not to feel and to try to capture the rush of adrenaline.

Ira R said...

actually re ship. a digital camera could work. just take the pix of sketch and plug it into any computer. they all (computers), these days, seem to accept pix and have editing software to boot. then direct onto blog.
just a thought.

memi said...

That's a great idea, Ira- and it could be fun- thanks!
I will ask you to stay tuned!

Anna Nadler said...

Thanks for your comment Melanie!

I think in the drawing I created more space between us and the neighbors than there actually is in reality, but better more than less, I guess :D