Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Sneak Peek






I am in the final stages of finishing a body of work that is being produced as part of a grant. I was sent to China last year to be the documentary artist that recorded the FIT factory visits in Hong Kong and mainland China. NO photos allowed, and so, it was up to me to keep apace with the groups, the tour guides and the translators- who barely stopped to take a breath. The machines were whirring away, up the stairs, down the stairs, on with masks, off with masks, cutting, folding, pressing, drying, dyeing.
It was terribly exciting and my hand was moving like crazy trying to capture it all.

12 comments:

Stephen Gardner said...

FANTASTICLE! so much energy in these drawings. Great to be able to study them in detail. Thanks.

memi said...

Thanks so much, Stephen- I am having fun working on putting this together- and thanks, too, for once again saving me from that no comment zone!!!

Ira R said...

Love. Charcoal pencil? I like the 'chop" did you get it on your trip? Does it say your name?
Looking forward to seeing this book.

memi said...

Ira, thanks. It is soft graphite. The chop is from my trip- something that I wanted for a long time.
It represents my name, but also means sing- ironic since I cannot carry a tune, but when I am drawing, I am so happy, it feels to me as if I am singing.

heidi Younger Illustration said...

I agree, there is so much energy in these drawings. Architecture, movement, life! Nice. Looking forward to the book.

memi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie Johnson said...

Melanie, what a fantastic adventure! your drawings say more than a photo ever could. Can't wait to see the book. Where will it be sold?

memi said...

OK- I guess that I am making a book!

Ira R said...

:)

Lok said...

I think these are absolutely stunning. You got a great quick energetic thing going on with wonderful abstractions while keeping everything descriptive..

memi said...

Lok-Thank you so much for coming over from Usk and for the supportive comment!

Nathalie said...

Wow Melanie, these are amazing! :O Beautiful!