Friday, April 2, 2010

One Last Working Woman







Though we are now in April, I bring you one last nod to WHM, recorded in March while I was in the Dominican Republic.
Though my days were languorous and beautiful on the beach, the life of selling fruit on the beach is not quite the same. This lanky, beautiful, quietly elegant woman, strolls bucket atop her head all day, every day, with the rich tropical fruits of the island, hoping to sell enough to make her day. Her body language speaks of humility and when she makes a sale, her smile is as bright as the Dominican sky.

9 comments:

José Louro said...

Great work!

Veronica Lawlor said...

These are so nice Melanie. I hope you are going to continue this series...

memi said...

Thank you both-
Ronnie, I really appreciate the support on this one..
I would like to continue, thanks...

Unknown said...

What a fabulous series of sketches! I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Anna Nadler said...

I love these!

Melanie, thank you for the comment on my blog! I did something, and it accidentally disappeared :(

Bil Donovan said...

The energy and emotion that you are able to capture in one line is breath-taking Mel....These are wonderful as always....

memi said...

Thank you, everyone- a drawing comes easily when you feel passionate about your subject matter- don't you think???

Ira R said...

These are extra special. The top 2 sing.

From the other side said...

Your words are as lovely as your art work (really and truly).