Thursday, September 29, 2011

Sweet Italian Memory

There's a lot of talk in US news these days about Perugia and the appeal of American Amanda Knox. I am not writing about the trial, I am not passing judgement one way or the other. It's just that I could not help be reminded of a Sunday that I spent in Perugia a little while back. It was a blustery day, but as intrepid tourists, we forged our way through the city, into the cathedral, in and out of side streets, trying to avoid the downpours and slipping along the cobblestone. As with all of our collective memories with good times, I can remember it all as if it were yesterday. You know that Perugia is famous for its chocolate but foolishly, we did not pause to think that on a Sunday in Italy, the shops would be closed. And then, it happened. We found the only chocolate shop opened in all of Perugia. That's when my drawing stopped....




...and the sampling began.

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hello it's me ;)

Great sketches, Melanie, I'd say brown seems so appropriate for center Italy!
I had a crush on brown ink after Lisbon, I'm now making everything brown and grey, no proper colors.
What did you use here? A fibre pen? Or it was brown ink on your Lamy Safari?

memi said...

Miguel, Now we can talk Todd- you know that I travel the world to see him:) was in London last year to do that. So, if he is ever in Barcelona....

These drawings were with Pelikan 4001 brown, with my Pelikan Cartridge pen- it has a finer point and splatters more, which I love!
Hope that you are well- I am going to post a couple of Todd sketches from this past summer-I did them with my felt tip pen- Something To Fall Back On. :)

Cynthia said...

Dear Melanie,
I really love your art!

Best,
Cynthia