Thursday, January 1, 2009

A Day for Celebration?


Today marks the 50th anniversary of the revolution that brought Fidel Castro to power in Cuba and created a communist state.
Some are saying that Cuba is celebrating, albeit, in a subdued fashion.
In lieu of offering a personal opinion about it, I will, instead, post this painting that I made on location while in Havana in 2003.
I was fortunate enough to be invited to an art school there to record their fashion show. I was official- permission from our government, a stamp on my passport and cigars as token souvenirs.
More memorable was the poignant atmosphere that I recall-
Havana is beautiful pastel mix of European architecture amidst breezy palm trees and the 1950's cars and neon signs that often symbolize life there. A hint of arabic tile works peeks out from doorways and windows where altars and rosary beads line the walls.
There is in the air a mix of passion and pride, along with a veil of unease and at times, envy, as you can see from this young boy.
Though there for just but a week, I will not soon forget it.

6 comments:

Lynne the Pencil said...

Happy New Year to you!

Cuba is somewhere I have often thought I'd like to visit. I imagine it would be quite a feast for the sketchbook and, as you suggest, provide plenty of food for thought.

Stephen Gardner said...

What a great painting and what a great opportunity. Hope to be seeing you very soon.

Ira R said...

love the colors. Wish it could be bigger on the site.

memi said...

I am back to life, everyone-
thanks for your comments-
Lynne- I can just imagine what you could do in Havana!
Stephen- we WILL have that drawing date in '09!
Thanks, Ira- did not want to be too piggy on the size...

Me said...

Can I use this sketch in my website www.toromusic.com

Anne Watkins said...

I love this - and your description is so tender and evocative.