Friday, July 1, 2011

Some More From Venice Beach




My trip out to LA with my MFA in Illustration class was weird and wonderful in many ways. Though I am always jazzed to draw with my pen, scratching, and splashing away, I felt the need to do something different this time. This is always daunting- heading into something unfamiliar, but oh, so necessary from time to time, to re-discover, re-invent, and reinvigorate. Many of my students took the challenge on, too, with great results! Like I said, for many reasons, this is what the trip did for me. I prepared a few pages with a thin turp wash and then, drew with graphite, gouache and watercolor on top. Still very much a work in progress, but the warmth of the sun and the day is flooding back to me now.

6 comments:

Ira R said...

great characters! and its terrific that you did that, I love the media exploration idea.

donnamcm said...

I always enjoy seeing your drawings Melanie, especially your characters!

memi said...

Thanks for checking in Ira and Donna!

Anna Nadler said...

Definitely can recognize Venice Beach! So was this class trip also an excuse for a vacation? You have the most awesome classes Melanie :)

Ben said...

fantastic yellows!

Don said...

Seduction is a word with a meaning. In what way is this related to seduction? You could also call your blog "SketchBookCardiovascularwork-out" but if it didnt have anything to do with physical training it would be a pretty stupid name. I know I dont have to comment, but the misuse of the word "Seduction" gets irritating. Seduction is a very specific word. Like "carpentry" or "transistor". Its not a vague word for use in any context like so many words are. Seduction means the persuasion of a woman to have sex with a man. Is this the subject of your sketchbook? End of story...