Wednesday, August 3, 2011

LISBOA

I've just returned from teaching a drawing workshop at the Urban Sketchers Symposium-an exciting, invigorating assemblage of 200 people from 23 countries who descended on Lisbon, Portugal for the singular purpose of drawing on location. Music to my ears, the stuff dreams are made of, pennies from heaven, whatever other expression one could assign to a dream of yours- this was what it was like for me. Lisbon is a beautiful city. In betwixt and between the Naples Yellow buildings are tiled roofs for miles and squares, or largos, at the end of most of the cobbled streets, winding up and down hills galore. Most of these drawings are from in and around Largo Rossio, where my session took place and Largo Chiado, where I sat in with the wonderful Frank Ching and Pedro Cabral, who led us up a couple of hills, the reward of which was one of the best lunches that I had in Lisbon.








13 comments:

Laura Frankstone said...

I've been looking forward to your Lisbon sketches and these show why! Love the fountain one, especially, but all are fabulous!

Ira R said...

Great sketches. I love hwo the type creates patterns that feel like lisbon probably does (never been).These are all so rich, I hope you got a hat.

josumaroto said...

your art is full of live, i think that i ve learn a lot from you, thanks melanie

Unknown said...

Did I ever tell you how much I love yout work? Did I? I'm not sure... well... just in case... I love so much your work. And having the opportunity of seeing you doing it... mmm

donnamcm said...

There is nothing better than having coffee in bed with your laptop looking at incredible drawings! What a wonderful morning I had. I especially related to the "looking for coffee at 7AM". I would have been screaming! Great drawings Melanie, thanks for sharing them.

donnamcm said...

And did I mention that I am totally seduced by your sketchbook?

hfm said...

This is my city and I love your line, colours and movement. I am the one who asked you to sign her sketchbook. I'm trying to draw hands, hands, hands... where have I heard that?!!!

dominique eichi said...

great movements and stories as they are drawn. Do you add the color after ?

memi said...

Thank you so very much, everyone! Ira, can you believe I did NOT get a hat! dumb move.
Josu- I loved meeting you and seeing your beautiful drawings- it was really fun to draw together.
Miguel- I am not sure that I can wait until the next symposium- I love your work as well and might have to come to Barcelona to draw with you guys :)
Donna- we missed you there, too- thanks- can you believe that about the coffee??!!
Hfm- hahaha- I always need to practice those hands, too!
Dominique- about the color- it varies- if the ink is not permanent, then after.
Cheers!

Unknown said...

I'm looking for everyone's Lisbon Sketches, sort of experiencing vicariously
Thank you for posting, love them!

Cathy Gatland said...

Just terrific drawings Melanie, like Josu I've learnt a lot from you, especially looking at these after your workshop. I miss Lisbon already, would love to do it all again!

Nathalie said...

Oh Melanie! So beautiful! I always get excited looking at your drawings! :D

Cynthia said...

Hello Melanie;
I love your art!
Your sketches made me think about such marvelous days in Lisbon.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me and for encouraging me!

Cynthia