Friday, August 9, 2013

Baguettes et Chiens

As hard as it was to leave Barcelona, and the delicious beach town of Tossa de Mar, off we went to cross the border into the South of France, to Collioure. Flowers lined the highways, with trees that echoed the paintings of the Fauve masters and the spirit of Matisse, Derain, Braques and Picasso
were calling out to us as we drove into the country.
The palette changed, and the characters were quite different-
and there were dogs and baguettes everywhere!
I had my fun every morning.










I adored being in this quintessential French town. Everywhere one looked, there was a picture and as we enjoyed a trolley ride up the mountain, I made some quick notes.


We were so lucky to be there on market day. What a scene- more baguettes!


And then, time for a glass of wine and take in the beach scene. The rain did not deter anyone.





A little more coming for the way back to Barcelona. Stay tuned.



10 comments:

Julia Sverchuk said...

So gorgeous, Melanie! Love them...Julia

memi said...

Oh, Julia, Thank you- it is so nice of you to take the time to comment! See you again, soon I hope! :)

Emily Nudd Mitchell said...

Fantastic account, Melanie :) French are a bit upset with the baguette picture, but as a French, I must admit we're just like this, ah ah !
Wonderful !

memi said...

Emily- thanks for posting- Oh my, I do not mean to offend anyone!

donnamcm said...

Great series Melanie---beautiful mark making!!

memi said...

Donna, looks like you had a rockin' session down south! It would be fun sometime to be drawing side by side again- I love how that one meeting that we had cemented something long lasting!

Rhonda Hurwitz said...

I am in love with your sketchbook! I didn't know you had an art blog, excited to look thru it

Rhonda Hurwitz said...

I am in love with your sketchbook! I didn't know you had an art blog, excited to look thru it

Ira R said...

fantastic! I adore the composition of your last post. and the pains are so great! et al

VHein said...

Wow, Melanie! These are spectacular characters all, and I can see what a joy the trip through the south of France was!