Thursday, August 1, 2013

Un Cortado, Une Noisette

I've just returned from a FABULOUS trip to Barcelona, Costa Brav and the South of France. 
When I close my eyes, I am still feeling the Mediterranean sun and the sea breeze, see the glorious tiled roofs and the exquisite palette and of course, tasting my morning cortado and noisette.
First up was the Urban Sketchers Symposium in Barcelona. If you can imagine over 300 people, from over 20 countries!, just covering the city drawing on location. Pretty spectacular! 
Barcelona is Gaudi central and is really magical. 
With my apologies to my architect friends, I am posting my drawings of Sagrada Familia, 
and other Gaudi extravaganzas. Oh, my intentions were in the right place, trying to get the perspective right, the scale in place, all of the nooks and crannies clear, but alas, this aging rocker got so excited and singing Sagrada Familia, baby (in my mind) to the tune of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly, (most of you reading will not know who I am talking about!) my hand got ahead of me:






I could have stayed here all day looking up into this glimmering sky of mosaics, 
all at once celestial and expansive, awe-inspiring and in spite of the throngs of people weaving in and out of the columns, it did feel as if I was there all by myself.
And the treats kept coming...leaving Barcelona up the coast, we arrived to Tossa de Mar, 
a gorgeous beach town where the sea was steps away from our beautiful, Gaudi inspired, of course, hotel. Days on the beach, boat rides, paella and great cortado!




I'll leave you here for today, before we head to the South of France....

11 comments:

Christine DESCHAMPS said...

A very nice summary... loads of mediterranean light, delightful !

Unknown said...

Melanie, I think I must spend some long time with these drawings... You were really in good mood these days...

memi said...

Mille gracias, Christine! Hope to spend more time with you next time- or in your country!!! :)

memi said...

Thanks, Miguel- who could not be happy?? Sun, beach, light, tappas? How 'bout those bricks? You have made me catch the brick fever!

deb rossi said...

It is amazing how much information/story you get into your drawings. I was in Barcelona too and experienced that happy vibe. Sorry I missed your Channeling Picasso workshop...there were just too many to choose from. Wonderful!

Vicky said...

I know the song you're talking about and it will now be the soundtrack to looking at sketches of the Sagrada Familia:)
Love these sketches and hope to take one of your workshops some day.

Emily Nudd Mitchell said...

It's amazing Melanie ! Inspiring !

memi said...

Thank you, Deb. That is such gratifying feedback. Yes, lots to choose from- sorry we missed you at the sessions. Hopefully another time!

memi said...

Hahaha! Thanks, Vicky. I hope so, too.

memi said...

Thanks so much, Emily! Hope to be able to have more time together next time!

Amy Geller's blog said...

So beautiful Melanie. Truly!