Friday, April 22, 2016

Still Berning

Well, part of my sabbatical experience/promise to ME, is to get out and draw more- so although this post is not related directly to my sabbatical project, it is about getting out there and experiencing through drawing on location, all the happenings out and around me.
****This is not necessarily an indication of where my vote has gone in NY, just covering a happening.

On the eve of the Democratic debate in NY, and a few days before the primary, masses of peoples were heading towards Washington Square Park in NY. It was one of the first of this string of days that have been like golden gifts here. The skies were cloudless and the sun so warm and welcoming. Though I planned to head to the park, I could have just as easily been lifted up and swept along, so massive was the movement. Once there, I was in a sea of people, median age, below 30, some of whom I am guessing, were planning to vote for the first time. There were signs galore, costumes, buttons, masks, and voices, some constant, some every so often, erupting into the Bernie chant.  I found myself on line at about 3:30 and into the park at 6:00pm. Rudy and his sister Joyce, my chronological pals, made room for me on the bench. Sis and bro came in from LI, flags a wavin' Bernie enthusiasts to the core. Rudy made the headlines and sound bytes of every camera guy and media person that passed by, character that he was. It was the crowds that got me that day. Organized, peaceful, passionate, pleasant. I got a tiny glimpse of the man..Heard his message booming through the park and the streets, over and above the crowds, loyal to the end.




5 comments:

SusanT said...

I so admire how your crowd scenes go on for infinity! And those postum peeps are so unique and diverse.

Veronica Lawlor said...

These are fantastic Melanie! You really captured the energy and enormity of the crowd.

Susan Cornelis said...

I would love to try to capture a crowd like this. Do you just stand in the middle of the action and sketch while standing there with people jostling or what? Any tips?

Wendy Barrett said...

Wow, love your crowd scenes Melanie. You really have a knack for them. There must have been a very exciting vibe that day.

Joan Tavolott said...

You did a great job capturing the crowd and excitement of the Bern!!! Hope you are enjoying the next part of your travels.