Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Walking Amongst Giants


I had the good fortune to spend the first three months of this year in the Dominican Republic, working on my sabbatical project. Being able to be there for an extended period of time allowed me some time to travel- and I did- to Samana and Las Terrenas, north of Santo Domingo. I promise, I was working, but also, drinking in the atmosphere and pleasure of living at the beach for a spell. Being at this exquisite province is almost like living on a deserted island. Though it is a tourist destination, the beaches are rarely very crowded.




But that is the least of it. 
The palm trees simply tower over the beaches and land, 
blown and contorted by the constant winds. 


They are mystical, tall and elegant, often densely packed together, their body language defying the elements. The turquoise waters below roar at times, soothe at others. 

Town is very active and never without the constant looping of “moto conchos,” 
as they are called. 


They circle round and round, often laden with two, three, four people at a time. 


But it is the early morning that I loved most, seeing it all come alive, beginning with the pescadores, the fishermen, setting out to fish, coming back, cleaning, cutting, bartering, selling. And of course, there are the women, strolling from morning to night, with their beautiful beaming faces, selling that sweet fruit.








I'll have more about my sabbatical year next post. Stay tuned!

5 comments:

SusanT said...

Melanie, it is very exciting to see a grouping of these. I feel as if the viewer is there with you, feeling the breeze of the ocean, the tropical weather and pace of island life. Love these! Can't wait for the next installment.

Joan Tavolott said...

I love seeing all of these with your story! From your sketches it is easy to imagine the sounds and sights of life there. You captured so much life!!! Great to see!

Susan Cornelis said...

It's so exciting to see you posting sketches on the blog again! I love how you design each sketch, exaggerating the movement and the particulars of the figures. Can't wait to see more!

Nathaniel Gold said...

Amazing. I miss you. See you around school in the fall

memi said...

Thank you, Susan, Joan, Susan and Nathaniel!
Nate- it has been so long- I will be in touch with you~