Friday, December 12, 2008

The Language of Pride



What transcends the inability to speak the same language?
Is it a shared look? A smile? Sometimes, I find it is a drawing-
In all of the little streets that I twisted and turned onto, filled with vegetables and vendors, steaming pots of soup, sparkling Christmas decorations, and glistening ducks, the language of pride came through.
When I paused for a minute or two to draw, our connections were made.
I felt like I had spoken to everyone who I drew, though I had not uttered
a word!

9 comments:

Katie said...

Hi Melanie, Thank you for your comments. You were in Hong Kong? Amazing place, isn't it? I was just there in Sept. Your drawings took me back and truly capture the area. I hope you are well and that we can see each other soon.
Katie

memi said...

Thanks, Katie.
It was amazing!

See you soon,

Ira R said...

love these especially middle one. tall format is wonderful.

memi said...

Thanks, Ira.
Finally got a hold of a moleskine...

Lynne the Pencil said...

Found them! These are fabulous - they have so much of you in them as well as the place. And I love the way they are just heaving with activity - exactly as I imagine it was like.

I am going to enjoy have a good nose around your site!

Don McNulty said...

Just found your blog via urban sketchers. I love your drawings. Thanks for sharing, so enjoyable and motivating.

memi said...

Lynne, thank so much for checking in here-
you, of course, know how rewarding it is to document from your travel experience.

Don, thanks so much for finding me-creating new connections is one of the pleasant surprises from being involved in that group!

Anna Nadler said...

These are true gems, real documentary, in-the moment, brilliant drawings!

memi said...

thanks, Anna.
Nice to hear from you again!